We all are glittered by different makeup looks and trends this season from high-end designers at NYFW. As a celebrity makeup artist, my friends are always asking me to share with them different tips and tricks to achieve that high-end, trendy makeup look, yet still look natural enough for every day purposes. In this mini tutorial, I will share with you one of my favorite looks so far this season along with the products to achieve it.
The Classic Red Lips with Slicked Back Hair:
Jason Wu nailed the clean face and classic red lip on the runway. This look is always on trend, and so easy to achieve!
- Always start with clean, prepped skin followed by BB Cream/tinted moisturizer for great even coverage. My current favorite BB Cream is Laneige BB Cushion Compact, or Jane Iredale BB Cream if you prefer a matte finish. If you prefer using tinted moisturizer, I always recommend Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer.
- Next, conceal your under eyes with your favorite concealer. My personal favorite is Sonia Kashuk Liquid Concealer. I love blending and applying concealer using my hands. My body temperature helps the concealer to blend evenly, leaving my under eyes with a natural finish without feeling too caked on.
- Never forget to apply powder to set your makeup, especially for your T-zone area. Use a brush to apply. I recommend using Young Blood Mineral Rice Setting Powder for every day use.
- Keep your eye makeup simple. For me, I just curl my lashes and apply lots of mascara. Then, I brush up the eyebrows using Brow Fix from Anastasia.
- Start highlighting and contouring your face. Use MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Soft and Gentle to highlight, and contour your face using Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer. Then, apply Amazonian Clay Blush from Tarte in Tipsy on the apple of your cheeks to give your face a fresh glow.
- The last and the most important step: lip color. To achieve natural red lips, I start by lining the lips using Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella and then fill in using lip stain. My favorite red lip stain is YSL Vernis A Levres Glossy Stain in Corail Fauve. You can skip the lip pencil if you feel that you want your red lips to look more natural. Apply the lip stain on the center of your lips and you are done for the day!
Now for the perfect slicked back chignon:
- Start styling your hair by straightening—my favorite tool is a GHD Flat Iron.
- Next, comb all of your hair to the back of your head and secure using bobby pins. Choosing where to place your bun depends a lot on where you are going, to work or to play! If you’re going out, or just want a more high fashion look, place the bun higher on the crown of your head. For a more subtle work-appropriate look, I recommend starting the bun directly on the back of your head, so you can just see the top of the chignon when you look straight in the mirror.
- To finish, spray your hair with TIGI Bed Head Hair Spray to keep your hair in place. Tuck some of your hair behind your ears to get an edgier look and you are done for the day!
Shop celebrity makeup artist Archangela Chelsea’s favorite products!
This post was by Archangela Chelsea, a celebrity makeup artist. As the in-house makeup artist for Composure Magazine, Chelsea provides makeup and grooming to every celebrity client featured in the magazine including Naomi Grossman, Travis Wall, Karmin, Ryan Newman, Sarah Rafferty, Tahj Mowry, and Haley Ramm. Chelsea’s personal list of clients include Charlie Weber (“How to Get Away with Murder”), Cary Elwes (“The Princess Bride”), Vanessa Marano (“Switched at Birth”), Chriselle Lim (Fashion Blogger), James Tupper (“Revenge”), Aria Crescendo (French Singer/Songwriter), and Hayley Hasselhoff (Model) to name a few. Headshot photo credit: Kristina McManus